One is the loneliest number….

I was super pumped this week because I had big plans! Weigh in on Wednesday, sleep study consult on Thursday and EGD on Friday. I was going to get shit done! If only….

Saturday I woke up with a scratchy throat. By Monday, it was a full blown chest cold. Tuesday I was running a fever, and I’d coughed so hard that I thought my ribs had disconnected from my sternum. It hurt, it was annoying, and I felt like crap, but I was still looking forward to weigh in day.

Wednesday morning, I still felt like crap, so I called UPMC Bariatrics, and told Jen I needed to reschedule. I told her this chest cold was pretty bad, and didn’t think it would clear up enough by Friday to have the EGD done. She said it was a good idea to call, because if I’d driven to Erie and sounded even close to how I sounded yesterday, they’d have sent me home. And I would’ve been pissed.  So it is rescheduled for 6/27. Shortly after,  I called Northshore to see if they could see me for my psych eval. They took my name and insurance information and said someone would call me back soon with an appointment. I figured, since everyone told me how hard it was to get in, that I’d be looking at August for an appointment, and I was okay with that.

So I met with the nutritionist after work yesterday. She is super nice! Her name is Pam and her office is literally two miles from my work. Makes the after-work appointment very convenient, especially with the kid borrowing the car so she can go to work while I’m working. She sat down with Tori and I and went over my preliminary information she’d received from Dr Ali’s office, as well as the form I filled out. She gave me some handouts and some really great information. And then it was the moment of truth.

Tori’s phone was blowing up, so she excused herself out to the car. Time for the big reveal. I stepped on the scales and I had lost….

One pound.

One fucking pound. Seriously? I was devastated. I couldn’t believe after all the work I put in over the last five weeks that one pound was all I had to show for it.  Many of you don’t know that when I get mad, I cry. Well, I cried. Pam felt HORRIBLE. I just kept repeating “I busted my ass for five weeks and …one pound?!?” It was bad. I was disappointed. I was embarrassed. I was frustrated.

She told me not to give up. She said to be happy I didn’t gain. She said lots of things to keep me from jumping off the ledge. She gave me a meal plan. She told me she wanted me to take a probiotic because I’m on an antibiotic. She told me she wants me to eat whole grains every day. She said it could be water weight. She told me I could do this, and would! She decided she wanted to see me next Wednesday after work, instead of waiting a month, so I made my appointment and went home, still pouting. Tori and I drove home in near silence except for the occasional “One pound. One freakin pound.”

And then it occured to me….

When I got weighed at Dr Ali’s office, I wasn’t drinking water like I am now.  I went from drinking one liter of Diet Pepsi everyday to between a gallon and a half and two gallons of water. Did you know that a gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds? I know I drank at LEAST 84 ounces of water yesterday while I was at work. That’s almost a gallon and a half.

Now that I’m done with my pity party, I’m hoping that the water is what kept me from appearing to lose. At least, at next weigh in, I’ll be on an even keel as the last one, unlike this week. I shall remain ever hopeful…

On a brighter note, I met with Dr Strassberg this morning for my consult for my sleep study. I was in and out of his office in half an hour. LOVED that. We talked for about fifteen minutes, and I was out the door, with an appointment for a sleep study on July 20th.

Then I went to work. I was only there for 20 minutes when I got a call on my cell phone. I was on the phone with NY Medicaid for work, so I couldn’t answer, but did listen to the voicemail once I hung up. It was Northshore, calling to tell me my psych appointment is MONDAY! I figured I’d be waiting weeks, but nope, they got me right in. It’ll be another day off, but once that’s done, and the EGD, I shouldn’t have to miss anymore work time until I go back to UPMC Bariatrics in September.  Good thing, too. With all the appointments, and with being as sick as I’ve been this year, my vacation/sick/personal days are almost gone.

So this week’s been a mixed bag; I can only hope that next week is better. In the meantime, I just keep on, keeping on.

Stay safe, and love each other.

Linda ❤


12 thoughts on “One is the loneliest number….

  1. Hey hope your feeling better, 1 pound may not seem like a lot but it’s 1pound (step) closer AND if you’ve not taken into account the ‘water’ your drinking ~ another to adjust before your next appointment.

    Have following behind and need to catch up on your blogs. Take care Linda.

    Warmest rykG

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Linda, congratulations on your one-pound. Every win is a win, no matter how small. Added together, pebbles can make a mountain. Keep fighting the good fight.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Linda… You always tell us to be kind to ourselves and each other…. SO shouldn’t you follow your own advice?!? ❤️ One pound is awesome! One pound in the right direction! Stay focused and be proud of your progress!
    You’re awesome!!!!❤️

    Liked by 1 person

  4. 1 pound is an amazing step towards an ultimate goal. You are doing amazing and at least have the mindset to realize that its just the beginning and the weight loss takes time to lose and YOU WILL WIN!!!! Big hugs and love yourself as well friend! Have an amazing weekend!

    Liked by 1 person

  5. Hope you are feeling better. You will get there. I have had to take a lot of time off work for every appointment. My PTO time is just about gone and I am just hoping that I have to only take a few days without pain for surgery.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s